The Garvey Education Association and the Garvey School District had a productive negotiation session on Monday January 27, 2014. Highlights include the following.
- It was agreed that the current contract language surrounding Early Release Wednesdays will be adhered to. Teachers will once again be in control or the Wednesday Planning and Collaboration Time. This agreement will allow the Association to drop the PERB case regarding this matter.
- At present, the idea of holding SSTs and IEPs during Early Release Wednesday time is still being discussed.
- It was agreed that the current contract language surrounding the Association President’s 40% release will be adhered to. This will allow the Association to drop the PERB case regarding this matter.
- Calendar was discussed. The school year is most likely to begin the week of August 18, 2014. There is the possibility of adding a Staff Development Day into the work year for next year only. This would increase the number of work days to 184. Salary would be increased commensurately. No final agreement was reached yet.
- Robert McIntire spoke briefly about the financial state of the District as well as predicted savings from the change to CalPERS insurance.
- Salary was discussed.